August Vilella’s solo exhibition Summer Breeze at JPS Gallery transports viewers into a surreal summer world through his distinctive characters with exaggerated eyes and unbounded creative process using the Surrealist automatism. The dreamy visions and delicate applications of light, shadow and brushstrokes in his new oil paintings lead viewers to be entranced in surreal and intuitive meditation.
Why it matters:
August Vilella 是一位自學油畫畫家，他的畫作清新脫俗，讓當代藝術與古典藝術遙相對話。此展覽為2021年其個展「秋天的童話」的續章，有別於其以往憂鬱深沉的演繹，藝術家的最新系列以季節恆變為靈感，使用充滿生機的色彩和角色們好奇的眼神映襯充滿活力的夏日元素，標誌著其畫風的演變。
August Vilella is a self-taught painter who creates oil paintings that open dialogue with contemporary and classical art.
This current exhibition by August Vilella continued the trajectory set by his solo exhibition Autumn Dreams in 2021. Unlike his consistent melancholy expression, the artist’s work has evolved, as seen in his breathtaking new pieces that artistically portray the visions and imagery of a dreamy summer through the vital elements and changing seasons. August’s latest series demonstrates an evolving style with vibrancy, along with the characters’ curious gazes and vital summer elements.
- August 的筆下角色都擁有一雙水靈靈的大眼睛，彷佛定神地望穿了觀眾的靈魂，刺探他們心底幽深的秘密。他的每一張畫作也由零出發，讓他的靈魂從潛意識浮現到畫布上。
- August’s characters often feature big stylised eyes, and through their insightful gaze, the audience is invited to engage with their deep emotions and explore them with quiet introspections. Each painting has a unique psychical opening and meaning that reflect the subconscious mind.
- August 以超現實主義的自主意識繪畫，創作出異想天開的作品，他不會事先起稿或構思主題，全由潛意識主導。這些大眼生物不只描繪藝術家的內心，同時與觀眾展開對話。
- August creates whimsical paintings using the Surrealist automatism technique, without any prior sketches or ideas, guided solely by his subconscious mind. His exaggerated-eyed creatures not only portray the artist’s inner voice but also engage in a conversation with the audience.
- 在畫作 《Summer Friends》(2023)中，August 巧妙地運用光影效果和簡單直接的構圖，營造出感性又帶點迷濛的氛圍，吸引觀眾揣摩當中的含義, 並且由於觀眾的理解各有不同，作品的意義也因此變得獨一無二、不受規限，像鏡子般反映我們內心深處埋藏的想法。
- In Summer Friends (2023), August makes prominent use of light and shading to enrich the straightforward composition, creating a misty and sentimental ambience that attracts viewers to explore the metaphorical message hidden therein, and each viewer’s response or comprehension reveals their innermost desires and thoughts.
Background – August Vilella:
August曾獲獎無數，包括2016年東京藝術博覽會的「最佳藝術家」、2017年阿聯酋杜拜全球藝術獎的「最具創意藝術獎」、2018年 的國際藝術家大獎賽和台北新藝術博覽會的「大會主席獎」。在2022年，August踏入藝術生涯的重要里程碑。他的畫作在世界舞台上大放異彩，分別在邁阿密巴塞爾藝術展、香港巴塞爾藝術展和紐約TEFAF成功展出，更在日本東京千代田區九段的著名歷史建築物Kudan House舉辦個人展覧「Memories」。
August has won numerous artist prizes including Best Artist at the Tokyo International Art Fair in 2016, Best Innovative Art at The Global Art Awards of Dubai (UAE) in 2017, and the International Artist Grand Prize and Chairman ś Award in the Art Revolution Taipei in 2018. In 2022, his paintings successfully exhibited at prestigious events such as Art Basel in Miami, Art Basel in Hong Kong, and TEFAF in New York. Additionally, he held a successful solo exhibition titled Memories at the historic Kudan House in Chidoya City of Tokyo.
Follow your intuition and allow hidden perspectives to emerge from within your own inner realm like a gentle ‘Summer Breeze’.
2023.06.09 – 2023.07.07
Shops 218-219, 2/F, LANDMARK ATRIUM, 15 Queen’s Road Central, Central, Hong Kong
Courtesy to the gallery