Because of the pandemic, travel has become an unrealistic wish. Under such difficult circumstances, landscape painting is, perhaps, the best alternative for everyone. This art exhibition is the first public showcase of up-and-coming artist Kacey Ko’s new series of paintings titled “Oasis”.
Why it matters:
You may think that landscape paintings always portray natural landscapes in the same way. However, Kacey Ko has achieved more than simply copying reality. The artist unleashes her creativity based on the real, which grants novelty to the works and arouses the curiosity of the audience. The series evokes a sense of dreaminess and tranquility, allowing the audience to relax and let go of their depressed mood. The sentences next to the painting remind the audience to reflect on their own heart and feel their inner state of mind. Everyone’s inner world is different, and so are their feelings, opinions, and perspectives of paintings. Therefore, the curator deliberately controls the number of works in the venue, hoping to give the audience more space. Even if the audience only appreciates the works visually, they can still reach the realm of the unlimited
- 「願.圓融」系列其中兩幅畫作剛入圍第 160 屆法國國家美術學會(Societe Nationale des Beaux Arts)法國沙龍藝術展(Salon Des Beaux Arts)。
- Combining elements of interactive technologies, the exhibition of “Oasis” will feature oil paintings shortlisted for the upcoming Salon Des Beaux Arts 2021, organised by Societe Nationale des Beaux Arts (National Society of Fine Arts) in France.
- 高嘉莉自 1 月埋首創作「願.圓融」，描繪內心的綠洲。疫情下，高嘉莉體會都市人營營役役的孤獨日常，在這抑鬱的氣候中，藝術家特別以雲彩配合風景為題材，以超越想像的色彩運用，釋放繃緊的心，表達對無爭無礙的嚮往.亦祈盼藉著這次展覽，啟發觀賞者多觀照內心。在無法隨心出走的日子，也可心無掛礙，行無所礙。
- Disheartened by her observations of lonely urbanites at the height of the pandemic, she devoted herself to creating “Oasis” since January, in the hopes of bringing to life a fantastical world that instills colour, energy and compassion to those around her.
- 藝術家夥拍藝術科技初創 Multiply，結合互動科技元素，讓觀眾能夠透過平板電腦，化身藝術家，重新演繹每張作品。
- The artist partnered with Multiply, a Hong Kong based Art Tech startup, to incorporate interactive elements into the exhibition, which will enable visitors to recreate each art piece on a tablet with the touch of their fingertips.
- The exhibition is supported by a team of art enthusiasts, consisting of kindergarten teachers, stay-at-home moms, blue collar workers and retirees. Without formal training in arts, they relied collectively on their drive and passion for art to navigate the entire curation process.
Background: Kacey Ko 高嘉莉
- 高嘉莉(Kacey)從 2013 年接觸油畫那一刻，便對油畫產生濃厚興趣，再通過自學、與 其他藝術家交流學習，成為具獨特風格的本地素人藝術家。
- Kacey Ko is an up and coming artist who fell in love with oil painting the moment she started painting in 2013. She has been developing her own unique style since, through trial and error and by exchanging ideas with other artists.
- Kacey 認為都市人一直努力地應對家庭、社會期望和情感困惑，但隨之而來的孤獨感給內心留下了一個難以修補的缺口。
- Kacey believes that urbanites have been struggling to cope with family, social expectations and emotional confusion, but the loneliness that followed has left a gap in their hearts that is difficult to repair.
- 主修心理學科的 Kacey 一直專注探索藝術與心理之間的連繫，研究藝術如何以最純粹的形式重新連接我們內在的自我。
- Ko studied psychology and continues to explore its relationship with the arts. She is particularly interested in experimenting how art as a medium helps us reconnect with our true selves.
Source: Brian Pak
Remember to make good use of the exhibition space to feel your internal self!
KACEY KO – OASIS
2021.11.25 – 2022.11.30
11:00 – 21:00 (Ending at 19:00 on 30 November)
賽馬會創意藝術中心 地下 L0 藝廊 (免費入場)
九龍石硤尾白田街 30 號 (港鐵石硤尾站 C 出口，步行約 5 至 8 分鐘 )
L0 Gallery, Jockey Club Creative Arts Centre (JCCAC)
30 Pak Tin Street, Shek Kip Mei, Kowloon, Hong Kong (MTR Shek Kip Mei Station Exit C, 5-8 mins walk)
Courtesy to Multiply Studio & Technologies and the Artist