Have you ever thought that ordinary water stains can also become a leading role in art? a|n Gallery is pleased to present the new solo exhibition of renowned artist Cho Yeou Jui: “Misty Clouds – New Paintings by Cho Yeou Jui”.
Why it matters:
是次展覽一共有 14 幅全新作品，包括 2020 年創作的「霧影系列」及 2021 年創作的「蒼穹系列」。為了加強視覺衝擊力以及為作品添加更多的可能性，卓有瑞特意在她的作品中加入水漬。卓氏著名的湮染水漬，原本只是無意之舉。然而，當她發帶有水漬的作品看起來更加耐人尋味後，她便決定將水漬作為她作品的一大特點。水漬的存在除了能為作品增添詩意，亦能讓觀者有著全新的視覺體驗。
There are a total of 14 works in this exhibition, including the “Mist Series” created in 2020 and the “Cloud Series” created in 2021. In order to strengthen the visual impact and add more possibilities to the works, Cho Yeou Jui deliberately added water stains to her works. Cho’s famous water stain was originally just an unintentional act. However, when she discovered the works with water stains looked more fascinating, she decided to make water stains a major feature of her works. The presence of water stains not only add a poetic sense to the work but also give the viewer a brand new visual experience.
- In the Mist series, Cho depicted the misty scene of a volcanic landform in New Zealand. The fragments of rocks, the reflection of sunlight, the multiple and subtle color blocks reveal a sense of mystery. Cho pays obsessive attention to detail in color, perspective and lighting.
- She has an impressive perception about light and shades, the interplay of which brings out a mystical atmosphere and achieves a unique visual effect. The works reveal the endless beauty and disillusionment of the universe. There is no grand scale in her paintings, but a solitary, quiet and lofty elegance which gently permeates the ethereal scene.
- 「蒼穹系列」是描繪香港自然風景的最新作品。卓有瑞自從移居香港之後， 常徜徉踏足於香港的郊野公園登山步道，畫家細心的分辨陽光的強度和天空不同 藍色的氣息溫度，創作出形形式式，多姿多彩的雲 – 天際的一縷輕雲、高空的捲雲、低壓的積雲。
- The Cloud series is Cho’s latest work depicting the Hong Kong landscape. After moving to Hong Kong, Cho often goes hiking at country parks. Cho carefully distinguished the intensity of the sun and the temperature of various blues of the sky. Different forms of clouds are created, including soft cloud, high-altitude cirrus cloud, low-pressure cumulus cloud and so on.
- 卓有瑞似乎是想抓住大自然瞬間變化的特徵，抓住美的瞬間， 從看似平凡的物事中發現美的真諦。透過畫家賦予畫面色彩、線條及造形，天空 中每一縷光線都可以傳達不同的情感，喚起觀者各種各樣的遐想。
- Cho seems to be trying to catch hold of a very moment amid the changes of nature to reveal the truth of beauty, even from the most ordinary scene. Cho’s skillful use of color, line and form encourages the viewer’s contemplation. Every beam of light can trigger different kinds of associations.
Background: 卓有瑞的「獨門祕技」 | The uniqueness of Cho’s works
- 卓有瑞以彩筆耕耘心田 40 多年，擅長以精準的超寫實手法描繪並詮釋抽象 的生命現象、時間的足跡、流動的光影。
- In her over 40 years’ career, Y.J. Cho has been a persistent practitioner of photorealism committed to interpreting abstract life phenomena, footprints of time, and flowing of light and shades.
- 她先將景色拍照，再把照片影像投影在畫布上，然後逐一將線條與色彩的細節畫下來，着力尋求和極力表達細膩、嚴謹 的畫面效果。
- Cho undertook a tedious process in her creation by first taking photos of the scenery, followed by projecting the photo images onto the canvas, on which she sketched and painted with utmost delicacy and virtuosity.
- 作品具有強烈的當代性格，不論仰望天空或是俯看地面，陳述着畫 家尋求和宇宙對話的祈願。
- Her work has a strong contemporary character, whether gazing at the sky or looking down at the ground, it reflects the artist’s wish to seek dialogue with the universe.
Source: a|n Gallery
Pay attention to the clouds of Hong Kong in the “Cloud Series”!
Misty Clouds – New Paintings by Cho Yeou Jui
2021.10.23 – 2021.11.12
Monday to Saturday 14:30 – 18:30
a|n Gallery, Rm201, 2/F, Tung Chai Building, 86-90 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong
Courtesy to a|n Gallery and the Artist