山水一直是傳統水墨畫的主角。然而，氣候變化和一系列的環境問題正在使這群主角陷入危機。3812畫廊很高興在歐洲舉辦香港藝術家馮永基當代水墨風景畫的首次個展 – Breathing and Life。這些雄偉又壯麗的作品旨在提高人們的環保意識。
Landscape has always been the protagonist of traditional Chinese ink painting. However, climate change and a series of environmental issues are putting these protagonists into crisis. 3812 Gallery is pleased to present the first solo exhibition of the Hong Kong artist Raymond Fung’s contemporary ink paintings – Breathing and Life – in Europe. Fung’s magnificent works aim to raise people’s awareness of environmental protection.
Why it matters:
Raymond Fung is a renowned artist and architect in Hong Kong. Despite his high reputation in Asia, his works have not been widely Fung’s original combination of traditional Chinese ink painting and Western abstract expressionism. “Breathing” is an entirely new and unseen series. These complex and abstract works express Fung’s ideas and views on environmental issues. Fung is troubled by the deteriorating ecological climate and the destruction of the environment caused by mankind. From Fung’s sparse style of architecture, we can perceive his close personal relationship with nature and its surrounding environment. He wishes to drive the audience to contemplate environmental degradation and protect the beauty of the natural world.
- Deviating from traditional ink methods, Fung experiments with rich coloured pigments and introduces contemporary materials to the surface of his Xuan (Chinese rice) papers.
- Fung’s many layers of water, ink and pigment, and are overlaid with fine plastic films. The filmes serve the purpose of massaging the ink and pigment, allowing them to breathe underneath, whilst patiently waiting for the cracks to appear on the surface as they dry.
- The resulting paintings are textured and multi-layered, glimmering and shining with mineral pigments and splashes of colour, over laid upon the underlying ink.
- Fung’s works often take the form of tall, narrow polyptychs that draw the eye from one end to another- a rhythmic momentum that creates ‘windows’ in space through which to view his imagined landscapes.
Background: Abstract Expressionism
- 抽象表現主義是由美國畫家於 1940 和 1950 年代開發的新抽象藝術形式。
- Abstract expressionism is the term applied to new forms of abstract art developed by American painters in the 1940s and 1950s.
- The abstract expressionists aim to make art that while abstract was also expressive or emotional in its effect.
- 他們受到超現實主義思想的啟發，即藝術應該來自無意識的思想，以及藝術家 Joan Miró 的自動主義。
- They were inspired by the surrealist idea that art should come from the unconscious mind, and by the automatism of artist Joan Miró.
Fung takes considerable time over the curation of his shows, installing them with the same precision as he designs buildings.
RAYMOND FUNG – BETWEEN BREATHS
2021.11.2 – 2022.1.7
Monday to Friday 10:00 – 18:30
21 萊德街，倫敦，SW1Y 6PX
21 Ryder Street, London, SW1Y 6PX
Courtesy to 3812 Gallery and the Artist